I'm finally done with essays and exams until January! Although I SHOULD be studying for those January exams... but for now, I'm on Christmas holiday!
Last weekend we didn't end up going to Galway; we'd decided that we had too much to do. But on Saturday, Colin, Katie, Elizabeth and I took a little day trip to a seaside town on the Irish sea called "Howth." (That rhymes with "both.") It was soooo cold that we didn't even go on the cliff walk that we'd gone there to see, but we still had fun walking around the town and taking pictures of the boats and lighthouse and sea. We even saw a few seals that came up to the edge of the pier to smile for the camera! We had fish and chips and icecream, coffee and dessert in two little shops in the main street, and I bought a few books for myself (for Christmas presents) at a little book sale we ran into. All in all, it was a fun day. Cold, but fun. We were beat when we got back, so we all relaxed together and watched a movie in my room.
Last week, since I didn't have any more essays, I just spent lots of time with my friends that were only here for the first semester-- especially Colin. We went to Dublin a few times, and Saturday Katie and I had brunch with Elizabeth's family! It was so cool to meet them since we've heard so much about them! And on Tuesday I was fortunate enough to be able to experience the NUIM Carol Service. The director of the play I was in got me a ticket! You usually have to reserve a ticket like six months in advance because it's so popular. The service was in the college chapel, and it was absolutely beautiful.
Elizabeth, Jackie and I booked our tickets for Italy this week too! Elizabeth and I are leaving for Turin January 26! We are staying with my friend Caitlin from leadership camp (she's in Asti staying with a family there until February). Then we meet Jackie in Venice on the 30th and spend a few days there until we return to Maynooth February 3rd for lectures to start on the 4th. It will definitely be a whirlwind, and I'm SOOO excited! Venice is the one city that I HAVE to see before I leave this continent. And I'm also really excited to see Caitlin and stay with a family again (like we did in Germany).
I got a haircut yesterday, which I love. My favorite part, I think, was the 15 minute long hair wash. They have separate people at the salons here that just wash hair, and there is a massage chair for you to relax in while you're getting your hair washed. Then, when you sit down, they offer you tea or coffee. (I didn't have any because I don't like tea or coffee, but it sure was fancy!) Then last night Colin took me out to dinner at an Italian restaurant in Maynooth. We had a lovely evening before I had to say goodbye to him... (we also watched Slapshot in which Paul Newman was lookin' dreamy!!!)
It was so sad to say goodbye to everyone this weekend, and now I'm in my apartment, alone on Christmas. It's pretty sad, but pretty soon I'm going to call home where my whole family is, warm by the fire. I can't wait for them to get here. It just doesn't feel like Christmas without family...
Howth pictures:
http://nd.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2125772&l=d4ca9&id=5619987
Haircut, and the last week with everyone here:
http://nd.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2125802&l=65842&id=5619987
Monday, December 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment