Friday, February 29, 2008

RAG Week

This week was probably the craziest week I've ever experienced. "Epic," as Elizabeth called it. I have seen more disturbing and scarring behavior than ever before and more drunk people all at once then I've ever ever seen. This week was RAG week at NUI Maynooth. RAG stands for "Raising and Giving," and the week is meant to be about charity. But over the years it has become one big drinking fest. The drinking started early Monday morning, and people were plastered by the afternoon. Each university in Ireland has its own RAG week, and many people travel all around the country to attend each one. The Student Union held events every night at the Bar, and every pub was packed every night. There were queues down the street to get in as early as 9pm. Lectures were sparse except for the "mature students" (or non-traditional students as we would call them) and a few hung-over or dedicated youngsters. I would be scared to know how much alcohol was consumed this week. And it was all sponsored and encouraged by the university. I'm not making this up-- it's a real thing!

So, this week, my friends and I went out every night-- which is pretty crazy for us. Monday we started in Elizabeth Kelling's room and had a drink or two with her roommates Micheal (who we're pretty much best friends with), Gwen, and Simone. Then we headed out to the Roost where I ran into Will, the director of my play. We all found a table and I went over to chat with Will for awhile (he bought me a drink... the Elizabeths, Katy, and I have decided to have a competition to see how many drinks we can get bought for us this semester-- one point for me!) Then I went back and sat by the Elizabeths, Katy, and Laura (our new friend from Marathon, Wisconsin, which is about 20 minutes from Mosinee-- crazy!) We chatted with each other and with our friends Darrin, Dave, and Neil who came over and sat with us. Darrin revealed to me that he'd had a crush on Elizabeth since we played football with them (like the first month we were here). He was talking to me about teaching, how he wants to change the world, and about his 2 year old nephew, and he would periodically stop and say something about how beautiful Elizabeth was. It was pretty much freakin' adorable. Too bad he has a girlfriend from Canada. Stupid. But he bought her a drink anyway. Point for Elizabeth Reinert!

Tuesday we had tickets to go see B*Witched at the SU (student union)... For those of you who don't know or don't remember, B*Witched is a band of 4 girls that were popular in the 90s.. mostly for their hit "C'est La Vie." They're from Ireland, and all our Irish friends were surprised that we knew their songs. We were so pumped to see them in concert. However, it was only two of the members and they only sang like 5 songs. But it was still lots of fun, and brought back some middle school memories. After the concert we were going to stay for the next act, but once we saw that it was a crazy DJ named Slash with weird dancing girls, we left. Brady's was closed because there was apparently a fire there, and the line for the Roost was down the block. So we just stopped into Dunnes and got ourselves some Doritos for the road.

(oh, and for the record, I did attend all my classes this week. i was quite proud).

Wednesday all the girls and Laura's boyfriend Matt (also from Wisconsin) and I went to the Roost. We snagged a nice corner table right by the bar and I spent the night chatting away with our German friend Andi who then gave me his Guinness pint glass to steal. After he, Laura, Matt, and Elizabeth K. left, Katy snagged a man to buy her a drink. He just randomly sat down and started talking to her. Katy has a boyfriend back home, but she was still thrilled to get the attention. And the guy was really nice. So it was fun to see her so happy.

Thursday night (last night) we went to Brady's. It was crazy packed, and we didn't get a table. But while we were standing by the bathroom looking mucho anti-social, this cute blond guy (who we later found out was named Wayne) came and asked us if we wanted to join him and his friends at their table. He was sitting with three girls at that point... the boys were off dancing or buying drinks. But we sat and chatted with Wayne and the girls a bit and then with his friends when they came back. They were all really nice, but we were a bit disturbed by the drunks at the table next to us who were repeatedly exposing themselves right in the middle of the pub. It was pretty much ridiculously inappropriate and annoying and disgusting. We told the bouncer and got one of the guys kicked out. Then the rest of them stopped. Meanwhile I met a new friend... his name is Niall and I'm pretty much in love :) We'll see what happens with that... he's been texting me all day. He's really nice and super cute... too bad I didnt get a point out of that one, dang.

And today was a day of rest. After our early Moral Theology class across campus, I came back and napped in my room. I watched a little TV and then went to Elizabeth K's for dinner. I'm newly obsessed with brussel sprouts, and they were GOOD tonite.

Also, today I found out that I was selected as an RA for next year! I'm really excited, but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to do it for sure. I have to find out if I'm allowed to still have an on or off campus job as well, because after this year, I will be up to my eyeballs in debt and will def. need a job to pay it all back. But I hope it works out, because, not only would I just be great at that job, it would look great on my resume, and I would also get an extra huge room of my own for FREE! woot! So we'll see what happens... I got a room in LeMans, too, which is where I wanted to be, so I hope it all works out!

That's all for now, I guess. It seems like the craziness of this week has made up for the a-little-bit-boring few weeks prior. Tomorrow is March, and I can hardly believe it! February flew by, and I only have three more months left on this beautiful island. In a week, my friend Rae Ann gets here, Jim comes the week after that, and then my sister Kris and cousin Mary the week after that. So March is going to be a crazy crazy month, and I can't wait! Before I know it, I'll be packing for home with mixed emotions. But for now, I'm doing my best to soak it all in and just enjoy every moment of it...

No comments: