Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Cloudy Sunrise

I cannot believe how fast this week went by! I have a feeling this is how the next nine months are going to be.

Monday was pasta night again. Delicious as always.

Tuesday I was really stressed out because I missed one of my tutorials and I was just really overwhelmed by all the reading I have to do. I went to a tutorial on Wednesday instead, and the tutor said he would just switch me into his tutorial. The girl I sat next to was really nice, and my tutor said he's been to Wausau! Small world, right? I also had my tutorial for anthropology; we got split into groups, and the people in my group are really nice. I'm really excited about my tutorials because I miss being in small classes and getting to know your classmates. Plus there's not Saint Mary's girls in my tutorials, so I'll have a better chance to get to know some people. Wednesday night we took a nice walk down Carton Ave. (this really beautiful footpath in town), and then we had taco night at Beth's flat. While we were eating our tacos, we happened to notice this boy outside in the courtyard throwing around what looked like an American football. Since we are all basically going through American football withdrawl, we all got really excited. Leslie and I stuck our heads out the window and asked him if we could play. He told us he'd meet us all outside a half hour later with his friends. So, we changed into our trainers (tennis shoes) and met these 5 boys outside behind the apartments to play football. At first we were trying to play boys versus girls (I was quarter back, which shows how good our team was), but then the guys were complaining that American football moves too slow. So we tried to play rugby, but we had no idea how to play. They tried to explain it to us, but it didn't work out too well. So, we split up into mixed teams and tried football again. It was really fun, and Beth caught the winning touchdown pass for our team. We chatted with the guys after, trying to explain to them the concept of boys asking girls on dates (because they don't really do that here). After that Leslie and I noticed John Flynn (a boy she knows from tennis) up in his room, so we threw rocks at his window until he opened it and invited us up. So, Leslie, Elizabeth and I went up and chatted with him and his roommates David Riley and Brenden (I don't remember Brenden's last name). Then we met up with Missy because she had to go meet Dave (a boy that she met at the Roost the first week and has a major crush on). While we were walking him back to watch a movie at Missy's, Leslie waved at some boys looking out their window in the River Apartments. She grabbed my hand and pulled me into their apartment building. We sat around and chatted with our new-found friends: Tiernan, Peter Ryder, Brian, and Porick (I don't think I'm spelling that right... it's the Irish version of Patrick). When we came back, Beth, Erin and I got dressed up and went to Brady's. We saw Marky and Jimmy (some guys that we had met at the Roost... Marky is the most hilarious dancer and sooo nice). They waved us over and we chatted with them for a bit, met their friend Martin, and then we made our way to the crazy crowded dance floor. We danced with Marky and his friends, and with the football boys that came later. I danced with the boy that was the quarterback on our team when we played football. His name is Niall. He's pretty cute. It was lots of fun, except when this boy triend to kiss Beth and she freaked out. That's the way the Irishmen do it at the clubs, I guess. So, we immediately left. I consoled Beth on the walk home, and we met up with Leslie in John Flynn's room again and chatted before bed. Besides Beth's bad time, it was a really great day... so much happened!

Thursday after classes we went out to the Roost. We met up with Peter Ryder and Tiernan and danced the night away. I tried a vodka and lime and it tasted like key lime pie-- real yummy! Friday I vacuumed my room (that's a big deal because I feel so much better about being in my room now). My SMC girlies came over to order pizza... Tiernan and Peter Ryder came up and chatted with us for awhile too. Peter had to leave to take the bus home, and the rest of us watched Boondock Saints in my room. (FABulous movie! But now we realize that that their Irish accents in the movie are pretty bad). Tiernan's friend Martin came up, and after the film, we chatted for awhile. Tiernan and some of the girls left until it was just me, katie, leslie, tom, and martin. I got Skype going, and we talked to my mom and my sister katie. Then, we were just chatting until we realized that it was 3 in the morning and we weren't even tired. Martin had to catch a bus at like 8am, so we decided just to stay up all night. I finally went to bed after sunrise (which was cloudy and uneventful) and slept until 2:30pm. The rest of the day was spent trying to make myself do some reading until I came to katie's to cook some pasta for dinner, eat some digestive biscuits, and now we're going to dunne's to get chocolate before we watch grey's anatomy.

No comments: